Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Walk to Remember

October is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.  M.E.N.D. hosts an annual Walk to Remember each October to honor our babies who have gone ahead of us.  The Walk is more of a ceremony than a walk, with memory tables set up for parents to bring pictures or other memories to share of their babies, a short walk from the church to the outdoor ceremony site in front of the pond, memory signs along the walk path, songs in remembrance of our babies, recognition of each baby by name, hanging of ornaments on a tree as each baby's name and birth and death dates are read, a guest speaker, and an amazing balloon release at the end.  Although the reason for the Walk is heartbreaking, and it brings up lots of memories and tears, it is an event that also inspires hope and provides a sense of recognition and pride for our babies, who are certainly blessings even if they are no longer on earth with us.  Last year the Walk happened to fall on Elena's due date, and I am so incredibly thankful that we were able to mark the occasion in such an amazingly meaningful way.  I have been so touched by M.E.N.D. that I volunteered to be on the Walk committee this year.  What a blessing it was to be part of the committee and to be involved at a much deeper level this year!

The 16th Annual Walk to Remember was on Saturday.  This year's Walk was led by a bagpipe quartet, which lent so beautifully to the atmosphere.  After everyone was seated, the bagpipes went to the front and played "Amazing Grace."  It brought tears to my eyes.  Then Rebekah Mitchell, founder of M.E.N.D. and mommy of Jonathan Daniel, welcomed everyone to the Walk.  An opening prayer was said followed by Nicol Sponberg, founding member of the Christian group Selah and now solo recording artist and mommy of Luke, singing "We Stand."  Her voice is as beautiful live as it is on the radio, perhaps even more so.  Then our babies were recognized by name, and we were invited to hang their personalized ornaments on the tree.  My dad joined me at the ceremony (actually, he helped set up the night before and the day of the Walk as well, almost as if he served on the committee himself - I felt so honored and blessed by his support).  My two older siblings, both born into heaven, were recognized along with Elena.  The Recognition of Babies is the longest portion of the ceremony, as sadly there are far too many babies who have died (for this year's Walk, we had 320 babies registered).  After each baby's name and dates had been called and all the ornaments hung, Nicol Sponberg sang "Resurrection" and then delivered an inspirational message, sharing her story of her beautiful son Luke who died of SIDS just weeks after attending the funeral of her baby niece Audrey Caroline (Angie & Todd Smith's daughter).  I cried the entire time she spoke.  Her message was so heartfelt and sincere.  (I also was blessed with the opportunity to speak with Nicol for a couple of minutes after the Walk, and she talked with me with such a beautiful, tender, and loving spirit - what an amazing woman!).  After her message she sang "Home," which was played at her own son's memorial service.  I cannot say enough how wonderful it was to have Nicol be part of the Walk and how blessed I feel to have been able to hear and meet her.  The balloon release concluded the ceremony.  The release is such an amazing sight, with over a thousand pink, blue, and white balloons floating towards the heavens (each person attending receives a balloon for each baby s/he is remembering, pink for baby girls, blue for baby boys, and white when unknown).

I am so grateful for the love and support I have received from M.E.N.D.  I have met so many incredible mothers (and fathers) through this organization.  While we all wish we did not share the bond we have with one another, it is such a blessing to have these parents who truly get it, who understand this journey, who recognize what a loss we have experienced, who readily acknowledge and speak about our unseen children, our babies who remain constantly in our hearts and minds no matter how much time has passed since they returned to heaven, these loving parents who provide so much support, encouragement, and hope.  Thank you, Rebekah, for founding M.E.N.D. and for all of your work and dedication, and thank you to all of my M.E.N.D. family!

 
Bagpipes lead the Walk
Rebekah welcomes guests
Nicol Sponberg sings

Elena's ornament
Ornaments for my siblings


Balloon Release

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I read all comments, and they mean so much to me!