Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Walking With You 2013: Clinging in the Pit

I am joining Kelly at Sufficient Grace Ministries for the Walking With You series.  This week the topic is "Clinging in the Pit."  "If you are not new to loss, talk a bit about early grief. What was it like, clinging for hope in the pits of despair? What did you cling to for hope? How did you survive the early days? What helped? What do you wish you could share with someone new to this walk, clinging in the pit? If you’re in the pit, currently, share your struggles. What can others do to encourage you?"

Those early days were horrifying.  The memories of that time are odd in that some things are very vivid, while there are details that I cannot even remember that I think I should remember clearly.  There are some parts I wish I could forget (like the nightmares that followed), and there are other memories so beautiful that I pray those will be among the last thoughts I have on this earth.

I was hospitalized ten days prior to Elena's birth.  It was a Friday (Friday the 13th, though I'm not really superstitious).  I remember my MFM saying that it was good that I had come into the hospital.  I remember my doctor seeming to think I was over-reacting at first and then the grave concern on his face after he examined me.  He told me I would stay in the hospital until I delivered.  I was hours shy of 20 weeks gestation, so I was thinking that meant 20 weeks in the hospital.  The next morning I learned that he had expected me to give birth during the night and was relieved that I was still pregnant, that was a "good sign."  I remember clearly him saying that if I made it to full term, it would only be by the grace of God.  Oddly enough, that brought me some peace, I think because I knew that God's grace absolutely could get us to term (and that my doctor believed in God's grace and miracles too).  I begged God to do for me what my body was unable to do on its own.  I begged Him to keep Elena safe, to hold her inside my body with His own hands, to let her be the miracle that showed His power to do mighty things.  I pleaded that prayer multiple times a day, "God thank you for another day, another hour.  Please let us get to 40 weeks, and if not 40 then 36, and if not 36 then let us make it as far as we did with our son who is doing awesome, and if not that far, please give us 32 weeks since that is such a good place to be, and if we can't have 32, then please give us 28 or at the very least let us make it to 24 weeks.  God, please let us get to 24 weeks, to viability.  God, please, please, please just give us long enough." 

Long enough.  Perhaps it was God preparing me, placing on my heart that we would not get 24 weeks.  Or perhaps it was lack of faith.  I've wondered since we lost her if I had prayed differently, would things be different?  Did I not trust Him enough to be bold enough to simply stop after asking for 40 weeks?  Why did I continue that prayer asking for less and less as I prayed?  And by "long enough," I had meant long enough for her to live, to be admitted to the NICU and to eventually come home with us.  God did answer that prayer, not the way I had hoped, but He did give us "long enough" in a sense.  Elena was born alive.  We were able to baptize her.  We were able to spend over two hours with her before she was called Home.  I believe I needed that.  I believe that for me, being able to have that brief time with her has helped me so much in my healing process.

When the nurse told me that Elena was coming, my first reactions were a bit out of touch with reality, but I was desperate.  I knew if she was born then that we would have to say goodbye.  I actually asked the nurse if they could just push her back up instead of letting her come.  I asked if the NICU team would be coming.  No.  No, it does not work that way.  No, you are only 21 weeks, there is nothing we can do.  I was desperate but out of options.  The despair hit before she was even born (and she came very quickly).  I regret that.  I was grieving so hard that I did not fully take advantage of the time I had with her.  I wish I would have made the grief wait.  There is plenty of time for the grief now, I wish I would not have let it interfere with my time with her.  I try not to blame myself.  My daughter was about to die.  No one prepares you for how to react to that situation.  There's no prenatal class on what you will wish you would have done if your child dies at birth.  I wish I had sung to her.  I wish I had soaked in every moment.  I wish I had encouraged my son and my mother to spend more time with her.  I wish I had taken a picture of my son with his sister, with my mother and her granddaughter.  I wish I had called my dad immediately so he would have had the opportunity to say hello before saying goodbye.  I wish I could remember if I even told Elena how much I love her.  The fact that I can't remember brings great distress to me.  How can I not remember that?  And if I didn't... I don't even know.

Those first days were the worst of my life.  I knew that there was hope out there, and I was grateful for my faith, but I could not feel the hope, and I'm not sure if I even wanted to.  I didn't care anymore, nothing mattered.  I felt so incredibly lost.  I did not know what to do, what to say.  How do you plan a funeral for your child?  How do make decisions when every choice you have feels so wrong, when you can't even think straight?  I wanted to go to bed and stay there until I died too.  I had trouble sleeping, and when I did fall asleep I had horrific nightmares.  They were so vivid and seemed so real.  They shook me to my core.  I dreamed my husband died, my son died.  I could not escape the pain of death, even in my sleep.  I wanted to vomit.  I had a toddler to take care of - how do you take care of another person, so dependent on you and so incapable of understanding the situation, when you can hardly take care of yourself?  Was I going to ruin his childhood with my grief and sorrow?  Was I causing permanent psychological damage to that precious baby?  I clung to him, a naïve, sweet little boy who loved his mommy even though she was a mess and who asked about Elena daily.  It was a reason for me to get out of bed each day.  He needed me.  He had to eat and was too little to get a bowl of cereal for himself.  I clung to my husband, my rock who somehow held us all together when everything was falling apart.  I clung to my God and the promise that Elena was in heaven in His full glory, experiencing the joy and awe of our Savior and free from the pain of this world.  I was a wreck, but at least I knew Elena was okay.  I wish I could have taken her place, but knowing she was with our Lord allowed me to survive.

If you are new on this walk, I am so sorry you are here.  You do not deserve this.  This is a terrible club in which to be a member, but you are not alone, and the families you will meet on your journey are some of the most amazing, compassionate people you may ever know.  I would encourage you to reach out to and surround yourself with those in your life who prove to be supportive.  Share your story to whomever you feel able in whatever manner is most comfortable to you.  My support group M.E.N.D. has been wonderful for our family, and the online community is wonderful as well.  I find that talking and writing about Elena brings healing, knowing others know about her and remember her brings comfort, and feeling that maybe, just maybe, I've helped someone else because of Elena gives her life meaning and purpose.  Creating a legacy for her has made all the difference for me.  And most of all, in those times when you feel unable to even take a step, give yourself permission to not worry about trying to walk and just allow God to carry you.  I pray that God brings all of us comfort, strength, and peace until we embrace our precious children again and never have to let them go.

24 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kyla, and right back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too have a long list of "I wishes". I suppose if I'm honest the I wishes are part of what drives me to help as many mothers as we can have as few regrets as possible of that time with their sweet babies. I can't remember kissing Thomas anymore. I've written about it...years ago in the early drafts of my book. And, I told my friend Ginny about it after I kissed my sweet boy. But, I can't remember anymore. I panicked several years ago...telling my friend that I can't remember...wondering what it I didn't kiss my boy? She said I did. I'm grateful. But, I can't remember.

    I need to speak boldly with you for a moment. Need to speak truth into these words...because what you shared here was the single biggest attack on my own faith years ago in the thick of grief after losing our Faith and Grace and later Thomas...the accusing voice was in my face with the same lie. Hope you don't mind...the boldness that's coming:

    "Or perhaps it was lack of faith. I've wondered since we lost her if I had prayed differently, would things be different? Did I not trust Him enough to be bold enough to simply stop after asking for 40 weeks? Why did I continue that prayer asking for less and less as I prayed? And by "long enough," I had meant long enough for her to live, to be admitted to the NICU and to eventually come home with us."

    Beautiful momma, this is not on you. It isn't about the strength of your faith. It isn't about whether or not you "prayed the right thing". Please hear these words and please let peace and truth setting in your heart when those doubts come calling in the dark. You loved your Elena...you, the mother God chose for her...the very best, most perfect mother for Elena that could ever be. You loved her well...and you did your job. You carried her. You nurtured her. You treasured her. You prayed for her. Our God is bigger than our words or our thoughts...or our tiny mustard seeds of faith. It isn't about how well we do or how much or little faith we have. I used to wonder if this happened to us twice because I didn't have enough faith or didn't learn all the lessons the first time. Was it enough to believe God could heal Thomas...or did I have to confidently know that He would do heal him this side of heaven? Those were my wonderings...some of my what-ifs. What if we would have arrived to the hospital sooner...would Grace have survived? What if I was more aggressive with the doctors when they found Faith's heart failure in the womb...would she have lived? I don't have the answers...and I trusted and prayed and lived and grieved and loved the best I could. But, God's grace is bigger than all of that. He doesn't sit up there saying if only you would get it right, shaking His finger. There are no limitations to His love and grace...and ability to intervene on our behalf. He longs to bless us...and pour His love over us. Why then? Why did He allow it if He could stop it? I don't have the answer. I just know that He's still worth trusting. And, I'd rather be in the palm of His hand than anywhere else. Please know...that you could not do anything to change the course of Elena's life. I pray for peace and truth to settle deep your heart and not allow that doubt one more minute of power. It's not true...for you. Or for me. We have to trust that the same God who carried them home and even now carries us, is faithful in all things...even the ones we don't get. But, do not think this has anything to do with the strength or weakness of your faith. It is enough faith to simply cling to Him in desperation. To believe He is Who He says He is...it is enough. He doesn't require more.

    Continued prayers for you...and much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly. It is good to "hear" what you "said." Intellectually, I know you are right. And I love how you phrased it - "It is enough faith to simply cling to Him in desperation." I know that in my head, now I just have to work on (and pray for) getting it to my heart as well. Thank you so much for your support and understanding, for walking with me, and for linking so many of us so that we can all walk together.

      Delete
  3. P.S. Thank you for sharing this so honestly and beautifully. So much of your own struggles in the pit were my own. And, I think that many other moms will be able to relate as well.

    Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tina,
    I can relate to so much of what you were feeling in those early days. The day after Gabriel died, I made a mental list of all the things I should have done differently. I forgot whether or not I told him that I loved him -- my husband assured me that I did, but the whole day was such a blur. It all happened so quickly. I was blessed a few days later because the funeral home called and said his cremation had been delayed because my doctor hadn't signed the death certificate yet. We were able to go and visit him at the mortuary and I remember that day more clearly.

    I think forgiving myself has been the hardest part of this journey, but like you, I cling to the faith that our children are with God, and that no matter what human mistakes I've made, they are fully at peace in Heaven.

    Love to you Mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, I am glad you had the extra time that you are able to remember better. I chose not to see her again at the funeral home. I don't know if I would make that same decision again, but it was the best I could do at the time. And that's really all we can do, the best that we can in that awful moment.

      Much love to you as well!

      Delete
  5. I remember thinking the same thing... If my child can only be saved by a miracle, than God will do it. I really believed it... never knowing that God's will would be different than what I wanted, desired for my child. After the loss of my son, I too, had wondered if I lacked faith, while praying. I know that is not truth, God is the author and finisher...

    Lots of love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. Sometimes I think I am alone in these crazy thoughts I have. It is comforting to know that I am not alone, and that maybe these thoughts are not as far-out there as I sometimes believe they must be. Huge hugs to you!

      Delete
  6. I am so, so sorry for the loss of your sweet Elena.

    Wishing, hoping, believing, praying. We like to think we have more control over things, than we do, don't we? Trusting. That's all hard stuff. In the time between my two miscarriages (17 and 14 weeks), we also lost a three-week old niece. I'll never forget my SIL saying, as Sophia was on life support and they were trying to figure out what was wrong, that she knew God could perform a miracle, but she understands that God doesn't always perform a miracle. Wow. I wish I had that grace! I say this only in hope that you let God take some of that pressure off you. You love Elena every moment you carried her, and you will always love her because you're her mother. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. We do like to think that we have the control when it really all belongs to God.

      Wow, I too wish I had the grace your SIL had. Much love back to you!

      Delete
  7. Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster award <3
    Love your blog so much!
    http://twinkleoflight.blogspot.com/2013/01/leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award!

    http://tossiestreeandpaintedrocks.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. ((hugs)) I can relate to so much! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this walk. Hugs to you too!

      Delete
  10. I think there are always the regrets of what we didn't do that we wish we had. I had time to plan and I still wish I would have done some things. I don't dream of my family dying but I think about it. What would I do? How could I go on? It's unfathomable to me yet I know somehow God will carry me thru no matter what this life brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, God is faithful to carry us and love us through the worst storms. How blessed we are to have a relationship with Him. ((Hugs)) to you, Holly.

      Delete
  11. My daughter was also named Elaina Marie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post spoke straight to my heart. When they told me my baby's heart had stopped beating, I prayed. But, I didn't ask God to heal my baby or make his heart beat or bring him back to me. I asked God to let my miscarriage happen naturally. If it was God's will for Bo to go to Heaven, then I wanted it to happen naturally. I sometimes regret this prayer. That I didn't pray for more. That I didn't fully rely on God or have more faith in what God could do. But, God did answer my prayer. My miscarriage happened naturally. And, I felt at peace because it was natural.

    So much of what you wrote is exactly what I felt and sometimes still feel. Thank you so much for sharing, and Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter Ariella was still born 3 weeks ago...January 30; we found out on January 28 that her heart was no longer beating. I can remember laying on the hospital bed with my husband and praying "God, help us get through this. I don't know if it's too late, but please make her heart beat." My husband reminded me that it's never too late for God, but we both knew while He COULD do it, there was no guarantee that He WOULD. And I have had thoughts about if I'd had more faith, if she would have lived.

    Thank you for sharing your struggles, as it helps me to know what I'm feeling and thinking is normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very sorry, Larissa. Those early days are so incredibly awful. Huge hugs to you, and sending prayers for comfort and peace.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I read all comments, and they mean so much to me!