Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Walking With You 2013: Steps Back into Life


Week 3's Walking With You topic is "Steps Back into Life."
"Share about your first steps back into life. What helped you survive in the world outside as you took those first tender steps? Are there still tender areas for you today, living in a world that doesn’t embrace or understand the loss of a baby/child? How do you cope with those struggles? What advice would you offer those new to this walk to encourage and bring hope? How has this changed for you from the beginning? If you are in early grief, what do you fear/struggle with as you try to navigate a new normal….life without your baby?"

I've struggled with this post, not sure what to write.  I don't know that I had any remarkable "first steps," not that I can recall at least.  Although I wanted to crawl into bed and stay there, I felt like I just could not do that.  I had to take care of too many details, and I had a toddler at home.  Life just kept plowing forward.  I was angry about that - angry that the sun dared shine the day of Elena's memorial service.  But what could I do to stop it?  I didn't know what to do, so I did my best to act brave and kept going.  I cried a lot at home.  I fell apart when my husband was home to take care of our son.  But for the most part, I focused all my energy on keeping it somewhat together for our toddler. 

My maternity leave allowed me to miss the end of the school year, so when I returned to work, it was at the beginning of the following school year at the same time as everyone else returning.  That made it easy for people to not really have to say anything to me about Elena.  Everyone was busy catching up with each other, talking about their exciting events of the summer.  It did not really feel appropriate to answer "What did you do this summer?" with "Oh, I spend the summer crying and grieving the loss of my daughter."  I just listened to everyone share about their summers and wished someone would acknowledge my baby.  A few of my close coworkers, people I consider friends, did.  My coworker who had lost her own infant son several years before me made a trip to my school to hug me and check on me.  She noticed my locket and asked to see Elena's picture.  For the most part, though, it was a quiet return to work...until I started seeing students again and learned that no one had bothered to tell them in May.  They asked why I was no longer pregnant, so I had to tell them, months after my loss.  I was pleasantly surprised with how most of them reacted, high school students showing so much compassion...not that they always said the most appropriate things, but they TRIED, they said SOMETHING, they were sincere in their efforts, they didn't ignore it.  I loved that about them.

There are absolutely still hurts from those early days (and more recent ones) that linger.  There were family members who never acknowledged our loss, who did not attend her memorial service or send a card or even call; others who came and stayed with us and turned the day into a swim party.  There were the awful comments about how we could always have another baby and the even worse ones about how maybe we should NOT have any more children with our history.  There were people who I thought would participate in Elena's first birthday tribute who ignored it and the close family member who actually forgot Elena's name.  People have cringed at the mention of her, walked away when we spoke her name, even said that it really wasn't that big of a deal.  And as more and more time passes, fewer and fewer people acknowledge her life, even those who were very supportive initially.

It is so difficult to not let a world that chooses not to understand or acknowledge baby loss cause distress to our hearts.  Our children are so precious, so valuable, so loved, that insensitive comments and actions cut deep.  But I don't want to be imprisoned by hurt and anger.  I try to focus on the people who do love Elena and support us, who remember her and show compassion to us.  And I try to remember that the majority of people just do not get it; they just don't understand.  Even if they are insensitive, I do not believe that they have malicious intent.  I try to forgive them for just not knowing what to say to me, what to do in this situation.  Some days that is easier than others.  I am active in a "real life" infant loss support group which has been so healing for me.  The online community is also full of beautiful mommas who understand.  I lean on those who have been there for support, and I am so thankful for them.  I try to keep my focus on the love and support I receive.  I try to write my feelings when I am struggling.  And I rejoice in the reassurance of our Lord that I will enjoy eternity with my sweet girl. 

My advice for anyone new on this journey is that even if those in your life do not support you or acknowledge your precious child, there are lots of people out here who will.  Find them and lean on them and allow them to walk with you.  And remember God's promises, that He will never leave us, that Jesus has gone before us to prepare a place for us, and that our babies are already in that magnificent place.  Jesus blessed the little children and loved them, and He loves our babies too.

"He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these....And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them." Mark 10:14,16

8 comments:

  1. Some people can be just hurtful and they don't care. I have had many like that. But I also have many that love her and I try to dwell on that love.

    I also think that when they try is so much better then not at all. I had one guy get all teary eyed when I walked through the door of a store! I just knew him from that store and that he worked with my mom.

    Thank you for sharing! It's good to know that we aren't the only ones to feel the way we do :)
    Much love, hugs, and prayers <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for all the insensitive reactions you received from family and friends. I'm so glad your high school students weren't afraid to acknowledge Elena. I saw some family members just 2 months after Gabriel died and they didn't say anything to me about him. They just acted like everything was the same as always. It really hurt. But it helps to know that we all have experiences like this. It makes me realize it's not us... it's the rest of the world that truly doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read Elena's story-so beautiful and so sad she couldn't stay here. I too was a teacher and lost my baby in April, thus with maternity leave didnt have to return until the Fall. I taught jr. high and the students were awesome. Even though they knew what had happened, they always talked about Caleb and didn't seem one bit weird. I really loved them for that, especially when some adults had such a hard time saying anything. Thank you for sharing, loved reading your blog.
    RyAnne

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Lost the first comment I made, hope this one goes through!
    What a beautiful daughter you have! Thank you for sharing her story. I too was a teacher and so after we had (lost) Caleb in April I didn't have to return until the following fall. I taught jr. high and my students were so great. They already knew what had happened and even though they sometimes said some awkward things, at least they said something! Most of them were completely comfortable with talking about Caleb and acted like he was real, I mean b/c he was real, but most adults didn't act like it So thankful for the innocence of kids. Praying for healing and restoration for you as you live without Elena.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry so many have hurt you and not acknowledged your beautiful Elena. It hurts so much to have people, esp family, do that. I am glad that you students did make the effort and recognize your loss. I think kids can do grief better than adults, esp the younger children. They are so honest and straightforward and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Holly that kids often do better than adults at grieving and expressing emotion...and showing compassion. I don't know what it is about adults...what are we so afraid of anyway?? Why can't we just acknowledge these precious lives and show compassion? So what if we don't say the right thing. At least trying is better than leaving a broken heart in silence. I have learned a great deal from walking this path, myself. And, while I still occasionally mess up and say the wrong thing or drop the ball, it has made me more compassionate to others. But I still carry the hurts, even years later from those who didn't acknowledge our children, or said hurtful things. I'm so sorry people have treated you unkindly...and failed to acknowledge your precious Elena. It is hard to revisit those hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry that Elena was not acknowledged by more people. You are absolutely right about there being someone out there that will support you, help you, acknowledge your child, and help you grieve and heal. You just have to be willing to find them. And leaning on the Lord always helps! Thank you so much for sharing and for such great advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a deep sadness, when family members don't acknowledge your child. It seems that at a certain point they think that it has been long enough to be silent... I don't believe so...

    I got a little smile when I read about the high school students trying to say "something" to you... That is a beautiful gesture... We usually expect the worse comments coming from older kids, and yet, somehow they just taught some adults how to act..,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I read all comments, and they mean so much to me!