I am joining Kelly at Sufficient Grace Ministries for a six week "Walking with You" blog series. This first week's topic is "Introduction and Where are You Now?"
I am the wife of a wonderful man and the mother of three beautiful children: a son who is three years, a son who is seven weeks, and a daughter who is in heaven.
Our sweet Elena was born in May 2011, only 21 weeks into my pregnancy, absolutely beautiful and perfect in every way, just too tiny for earth (more of her story can be found on the Elena's Story page). She lived 2 hours, 17 minutes. I treasure every moment we had with her, both before and after her birth, and miss her terribly.
It has been a little over a year and a half since Elena died. The pain is not constantly as raw as it was, but it is still ever present. I know it always will be. Some moments I feel a sense of peace. I know I will see my sweet princess again when I reach Home too. I am so thankful for her life and that I got to be her mom and so grateful to see how her life, brief as it was, impacted and continues to impact the world (for more on that, see the Elena's Echoes page). Yet it is still hard. There are still times of deep grief, still days when the tears fall freely. I do trust that God can and does bring healing, but that does not stop me from having so many questions about why and from sometimes still feeling very angry. Thankfully I know that He loves me through my pain, my doubts, my questioning, even my anger.
I suppose I have come a long way on this journey. I remember reading the Walking with You posts last year, before I began blogging. A part of me longed to join in at that time, but I was not ready yet. I desperately want Elena to be remembered, but I also am very protective of her and did not feel comfortable sharing her so openly with total strangers. Plus I had no idea how to start a blog, and the idea of trying to learn while in the throes of grief was completely overwhelming. Now that I have spent more time in this "baby loss world," I feel more comfortable with the community. I still wish I didn't have a reason to be here, but there are so many amazing families walking this same path. I am in good company. I guess one could say I am also more comfortable (not exactly the right word but I'm not sure how else to describe it) with my role as bereaved mother - not that I am any happier about it, but I suppose I have found a way to live it, to incorporate bereaved mother as part of what makes me who I am today. It is now my "new normal," as many of us call it. In a way, it sometimes seems so long ago. It's hard to remember who I was before Elena. I have mixed feelings about that. I know it is indicative of healing, but it also makes me sad. I don't like that it is my "normal" that Elena is not here. I learn to live with that reality because I don't have a choice, but it's still not okay. It is heartbreaking that so many of us know what it is like to outlive our children. It is not the natural order of things. It shouldn't be this way. Yet it is our life now, every day.
I realize that I am just rambling. I'm not sure where I am going or what point I am trying to make. I guess I am saying that I'm not entirely sure how to answer "where are you now?" because I don't exactly know. I know that the grief journey is not a straight path but is full of twists and turns, mountains and valleys, storms and even rainbows. I don't know what lies ahead, but I do have many wonderful people walking with me. And I know that my God is with me as well "because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'" (Hebrews 13:5)
Elena's Echoes is in memory of our daughter Elena Marie as well as our youngest baby Quinn August. Elena was born prematurely, and we were blessed with 2 hours and 17 minutes with her on this earth. Quinn was miscarried. We look forward to eternity with them in heaven. Their brief lives blessed us immensely, and it is our desire that their lives continue to make a positive impact on the world.
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes. Yes to every word...especially the last words...your God, our God...is with you...and me...and all of us walking this path who cling to Him for grace and comfort. He is faithful and He keeps His promises.
ReplyDeleteAnd, this...so true:
"Thankfully I know that He loves me through my pain, my doubts, my questioning, even my anger."
His love and grace are enough. For all of it.
I'm so glad you joined in this walk...so grateful that you are sharing your heart and your sweet Elena with us. And, while I totally get that you wish you weren't part of this community...you are a beautiful blessing, and it's a privilege to walk with you.
Thank you, Kelly, for all you do. You are an inspiration to me. I am in awe of the way you walk this path with such faith and grace, with so much love toward others. What a beautiful tribute to your Faith, Grace, and Thomas. Blessings to you and your ministry.
DeleteYour description of the grief journey is so beautiful and perfectly worded. I'm so glad you decided to join the online BL community and that you share Elena with the world. She is such a special little girl and her story is inspiring. I'm really looking forward to reading more and walking with you on this journey <3
ReplyDeleteThank you, Catherine. I am so glad I have a supportive community with which to share Elena. I am sorry that you share this journey too but am so grateful for you being here, if that makes any sense.
DeleteThat was a wonderful story and thank you so much for sharing! I look forward to walking with you <3
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kyla. I look forward to walking with you and reading your story as well.
DeleteElena, it is hard to live with the reality that our children are not coming back. What a beautiful day, when we reunite, holding, kissing and playing with them for eternity.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you are joining in with Walking With You, and feeling comfortable with this community.
Blessings...
Thank you, Jennifer. What a beautiful day it will be indeed! I can hardly wait to see what color her eyes are! Blessings to you as well.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteOops..... Did I hit publish twice? lol
Deletelol, yes, and I would have just left it twice had I realized it would show up like it did. :)
DeleteThank you for joining in with us and sharing your precious Elena. I know what you mean about being protective. I think a mother's heart wants to protect her children no matter if they are on earth or in Heaven. We try and protect our Heavenly children from those who don't understand. Their memory is precious and to have that attacked or not understood hurts us. God is definitely bigger than any event or emotion in our lives. When we can't handle it, He can.
ReplyDeleteYes, Holly, their memory is so precious and it hurts deeply when others say or do things that seem to belittle them. Thank you for your encouraging words and for sharing that you understand too.
DeleteSo very beautifully written! Thank you for sharing your story and Elena's story!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kayla.
DeleteI am so very sorry you had to say goodbye to your sweet Elena. My husband is super protective of Jonathan's and was very apprehensive to let me show the pictures I have. He still will not let me share Jonathan face on the computer. I am so glad you decided to start blogging. i know it has been very healing to me to have a place to write my feeling Although I do have moment yikes of I can't believe I just let so many people read my diary:) I am also so blessed by online support.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do struggle with the thought that anyone in the world has open access to my "diary," but you are right, there is so much healing in writing it and having the support of other mamas who have been there. Thank you for sharing the walk.
Delete