Friday, November 30, 2012

Giving Thanks Daily

Lots of my friends are doing daily posts on Facebook of things for which they are thankful as we approach Thanksgiving.  Since I just finished the daily Capture Your Grief photo posts, I think I will list my Thankful List here on the blog only.  Here are some of the many things for which I am thankful.

Day 1:  I am thankful for my awesome husband.  He is a strong man of God who consistently shows his love and concern for his family.  He is such a great husband and father!  He was wonderful before Elena was born and has grown even more amazing since her birth.  He has been my rock throughout our journey.  He is always there for me, and I so blessed to be able to call him my husband and my friend.

Day 2:  I am thankful for my sweet and energetic 3 year old son.  I considered him a miracle when he was born, especially doing so well despite his preterm birth.  After losing Elena, I learned what a miracle he truly is!  He brings such joy to our lives every day, and I am so thankful that God has entrusted him to me!

Day 3:  I am thankful for my precious daughter Elena.  She taught me so much during her brief life.  Because of Elena, I have had relationships deepened and developed new friendships.  It is easier for me to focus on the truly important things in life and to let go of the superficial things.  I am glad she is forever a part of our family and am thankful that I will see her again in heaven someday.

Day 4:  I am thankful for my church family and for living in a country where I am free to attend church and to worship according to my beliefs.  My church friends truly are like family to me.  They have shown me such love and support over the years.  Our pastors know us and are concerned with our well-being.  Going to church feels a bit like going home to me, and I love how our pastors keep the focus on God's Word.

Day 5:  I am thankful for our home.  I am so glad that I do not worry about where I will sleep tonight or if I will be warm/cool enough.  I am grateful that my husband has a steady job that pays enough to cover our mortgage and other bills while allowing me to stay home for now at the recommendation of my doctor.  I know we are blessed with so much!

Day 6:  I am thankful that I live in a democratic nation where I have the right to vote.  I am grateful for early voting so that I didn't have to wait in an insanely long line to vote (especially since I had my three year old with me when I voted, and his attention span would not have tolerated waiting hours- ha, even half an hour- in a long line).  I am glad that my son had the opportunity to see me vote and to begin to understand how democracy works.  And I am thankful that this election will be over after tonight and that I won't be bombarded with everyone else's political opinions and rants and awful commercials full of lies and half truths much longer (well, at least not as many as are spewed around election time).

Day 7:  I am so very thankful for officially making it to term today (still hoping for a couple more weeks, though)!  I am NOT going to have a preemie this time!!  I am thankful for my perinatalogist who performed my surgery last year and has closely monitored me throughout this pregnancy.  I attribute making it so far in the pregnancy to a combination of the surgery, modified bed rest the entire pregnancy, extraordinary prenatal care, and mostly the grace of God.  I am so grateful to be so far along!

Day 8:  I am thankful for my education.  I am so glad that I have the skills to read and write and to think and analyze.  I am blessed that my family valued education and encouraged me to work hard in school and to pursue a higher education.  I am grateful for the good schools I attended and the caring teachers and encouraging professors I had along the way.

Day 9:  I am thankful that I have reliable transportation.  I am so glad that it is fairly easy for me to get to where I need (and want) to go on a regular basis.

Day 10:  I am thankful for the ability to just run to the grocery store down the street to get whatever it is that we want/need.  Not only do we have enough to eat, but food is so easily accessible to us and we have such a variety of choices.  I realize this is a blessing that too many both in our country and around the world do not have.

Day 11:  I am thankful for the men and women who served/serve/will serve our country - past, present, and future.  I am so grateful for their bravery and courage, for their willingness to put their lives on the line to protect my freedom.

Day 12:  I am thankful for the Baby Loss Community.  While I wish that it did not exist and that we all had our precious children in our arms, I am grateful for the support and understanding that other bereaved families offer.  This is a club that no one wants to join, and once admitted to it, membership is forever, but there are some amazing women and men on this journey.  I am blessed to call so many of them my friends.

Day 13:  I am thankful for my first child's preschool.  He has been attending the same program for three years, and I have always felt comfortable with him there.  The teacher turnover rate is incredibly low, and the student:teacher ratios in all of the classes are amazing!  His teachers are warm and caring, the office staff knowledgeable and supportive, and the other parents generous and friendly.  He learns so much and has a great time there.  I could not ask for a better school for him.

Day 14:  I am thankful for my family's and my overall good health.  I am grateful for doctors and medications when necessary and thankful that in general we do not need them.  We are so blessed to be healthy and normally able to work, play, and participate in normal activities.

Day 15:  I am thankful for my primary OB.  I am so blessed with the care I have received throughout this pregnancy.  My OB has gone above and beyond to be sure that I am feeling as comfortable and calm as possible.  He has gone out of his way to provide me with reassurance when I was feeling particularly anxious and has monitored me closely from the beginning.  He has a wonderful reputation among his colleagues and has been an excellent doctor for me.  I am glad to have him on my team!

Day 16:  I am thankful for my extended family.  I am blessed with a large support system and many people who love and care for me.  I was blessed to grow up with all of my grandparents and am blessed to still have a grandmother here.  I also grew up close to many aunts, uncles, and cousins, and I am grateful for the relationships I have with them all.

Day 17:  I am thankful for restaurants.  I am grateful for opportunities to dine out, to choose a meal that sounds tasty at that time, to have someone prepare it for me and bring it to me, to not have to wash the dishes when we have an evening out.  I am thankful for the large selection of restaurants in our area and for my husband's job that affords us the ability to go out to eat upon occasion.

Day 18:  I am thankful for my brother.  I am grateful to have had such an awesome person with whom to grow up!  I am glad that he lives fairly close and that I get to see him more than once or twice a year.  I am thankful for his weekly phone calls just to say hi and touch base.  I am also grateful for my two older siblings in heaven.  While I would not wish the pain of losing a child on anyone, especially my parents, I believe their similar experience of losing children (even under completely different circumstances) helps them to relate on some level to our experience of losing Elena, so for I am thankful for them.  I look forward to meeting them in heaven someday.

Day 19:  I am thankful for my dad.  I am grateful for his love and support.  I am thankful that he raised me to go to church each week and provided an exceptional, private Christian school education for me.  I enjoy spending time with my dad and sharing experiences with him, from attending memorial events for Elena with him to going to sporting events with him.  I am lucky that he shares his sports tickets with our family and gives us opportunities to see baseball, hockey, and basketball games each year.  He loves his grandchildren, and I enjoy watching him interact with my preschooler.

Day 20:  I am thankful for my mom.  She is not just my mom but has also become a close friend.  She is an enormous source of support and encouragement for me.  She does so much for our family.  She and my preschooler adore each other, and I am so grateful for the time they spend together and the relationship they have.  It reminds me a bit of the treasured relationship I had with my beloved Nana.  My mom is there to help our family when we need her, like tonight (and the next several nights), when she is keeping our preschooler while we prepare for our Rainbow's arrival.

Day 21:  I am so incredibly thankful for the safe and healthy arrival of our Rainbow this morning.  Our full-term son was delivered on his scheduled date without complication.  I am thankful for his loud cry upon birth and his awesome size.  I am so glad he is here safely and is able to room in with me.  What an incredible blessing this beautiful baby is!  Oh, and he looks nothing like his big brother and big sister - maybe I am getting one that will look more like me this time (since my first two were spitting images of their Daddy).  :)

Day 22:  I am thankful to be able to eat solid foods today.  I am grateful to be recovering from delivery and to be able to enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner.  I am loving my view this Thanksgiving, staring at a beautiful Rainbow while enjoying a special day with the people closest to me!

Day 23:  I am thankful for the hospital staff.  They are taking good care of us.  I am grateful to have good health care and attentive nurses and techs.

Day 24:  I am thankful for being able to go home today, and I am especially thankful for being able to bring my baby home from the hospital with me!  I am grateful for my wheelchair ride today - I've been waiting three pregnancies to be able to ride in wheelchair from the hospital room to the car with a baby in my arms (instead of riding in the wheelchair with empty arms, once leaving my baby behind in the NICU and the next time leaving with my baby in heaven).

Day 25:  I am thankful for stroller walks.  I am grateful for my recovery going well and to be able to go for a walk just a few days after delivery.  I am grateful for a double stroller to take both of my boys for a stroll and for a nice neighborhood through which to walk.  I am also thankful for a beautiful day with perfect weather for our stroll!

Day 26:  I am thankful for our Rainbow's weight gain.  We had some concerns about his initial weight loss in the hospital, but our pediatrician was pleased that he has begun to regain weight (and is close to being back at his birth weight already).  I am grateful for our pediatrician and for the lactation consultants at our hospital.

Day 27:  I am thankful for those who provide meals and help for us during my recovery period.  It is so nice to have people in our lives that bless us and help to make things a bit easier for us!

Day 28:  I am thankful for my camera and for having the ability to record special moments and memories of our lives and our boys' childhoods.  I enjoy looking at those pictures, seeing how much the boys have grown and changed, remembering special times and the magic of ordinary moments.  I am so grateful for the pictures I have of Elena as well; those pictures mean so much to me!

Day 29:  I am thankful for friends.  I am grateful for time spent visiting with them, for cards mailed to us, messages and texts, phone calls.  I appreciate their generosity, their love, and their support.  We have so many friends that we love as family and are thankful for them all!

Day 30:  I am thankful for family time, for my husband's ability to have time off work to spend with us as we adjust to becoming a family of five.  It is so nice to just be together.  We are incredibly blessed. 

Thank you, Father, for all of our blessings, not only during the month of November but throughout the entire year.  Please help us to remember to focus on our blessings, to be generous in sharing them with others, to appreciate them daily, and to give the glory to You, the source of them all.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I read all comments, and they mean so much to me!