For many reasons, I choose to plant a Christmas
tree in honor of Elena's first birthday. For many people, as it is for myself,
the Christmas tree is a sentimental reminder of family and friends: of gifts
given and gifts received. God gave us Elena, a beautiful and precious gift and
He received her back to her heavenly home all to soon (for us anyway). Like a
beautiful but fragile ornament on the Christmas tree, her sparkle was to last
only a little while.
The true wonder and excitement of the Christmas tree, however, truly belongs to
children. And so this tree, that stays green and full of life even through the
coldest and darkest of nights, will be a constant reminder of the wonder that
is Elena.
I will watch as the tree grows sturdy and tall and points like an arrow to
heaven, with it's tapered top, to remind us of the way to heaven, where we will
be reunited with Elena and all our loved ones.
Another reason I choose the Christmas tree as a tree of honor, is that it is
one of the few positive reminders that link "Grandpa Mike" to his own
childhood. Of all the plants in all the world, this is the only plant he has
expressed a desire to have adorn our home. This is just another reminder of the
joy of the Christmas tree for children.
One additional admirable trait of this tree of honor is that it provides a
haven for the smallest and most vulnerable of God's creatures; the little
animals that find safety and comfort in it's branches and shade. Even during
the coldest and darkest times, it's branches remain green and full and
welcoming.
So my dearest Elena, I hope you enjoy your Christmas tree - and may a special
star adorn it's top some starry night. We will always love you and miss you
terribly. Until we meet again, all our love,
Oma and Grandpa Mike
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for visiting and commenting. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I read all comments, and they mean so much to me!