Saturday, June 9, 2012

Right Where I Am 2012: One Year, Two Weeks, Three Days

Still Life With Circles is hosting a blog link-up to talk about where individuals are in their journey after losing a child.  I decided to participate, so here goes... 

(although I just found it today, the link-up actually started on Elena's first birthday - to see where I was then, see her birthday blog entry)

It has been one year, two weeks, and three days since I last held my precious daughter.  I still ache for her.  I doubt that ever goes away.  This morning I was trying to organize baby toys and clothes, packing away things that my son (almost three now) has outgrown.  I have lots of boxes of clothes for him, and it is a little bittersweet (but mostly sweet) to reminisce about how quickly he has grown from his preemie days.  My first baby is not a baby anymore.  I found my box of baby girl clothes.  I couldn't bear to go through the box, full of outfits that Elena never had a chance to wear.  I hope someday to be able to use the clothes for a little sister for Elena, though I know it will be difficult that they will be "hand-me-downs" that still have the tags attached.  For now they sit untouched in a single box (she should have had at least a couple of boxes of outgrown clothing by now).  As I packed away the outgrown toys, I couldn't help but feel cheated.  Those toys should still be seeing use today.  Elena would be old enough to play with them now.  I try not to dwell on the "should be's," and I try to remain positive and optimistic.  My son deserves a happy childhood, and I need to be a role model for him of how to deal with grief, how to handle whatever circumstances life hands to us with dignity and grace.  I try; sometimes I'm not so sure how successful I am. 

I do know that I teach him to remember and love his baby sister, and most of the time I do feel somewhat successful there.  This morning he saw a hot air balloon in a video.  He asked what it was, and I tried to explain to him how it worked.  He said that he wanted to fill it with hot air and send it to heaven to Elena, and that she would send it back to him, and it would be a game they could play together.  Moments like those make my heart swell with pride and break with longing for what could have been.  My little boy shouldn't have to invent games to play with his sister in heaven - he should have her here in our home where they could play together.  I am so proud of him.

Today, one year, two weeks, three days (1,2,3), I am surviving.  I think of Elena often each day.  Although I ache for her, most of the time thinking of her makes me smile.  The tears still flow, but somehow they don't sting quite as badly as they once did.  I am forever her mom, and I love her and am thankful to have had the brief time I did with her.  I have hope in my grief that I will embrace my sweet princess again someday and live eternally with her and my Lord in heaven.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure it is tough to go through those clothes. I haven't had to experience that. I do think it is important to that siblings know about them and help in remembering them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so too.

    What a beautiful piece of writing, so full of love for your dear daughter, Elena. You chose such a pretty name for her. I can feel dignity and grace and your love for your son in your words too. I think you are far more successful in being the role model that you hope to be than you give yourself credit for.

    I lost one of my preemie twins and I know that ache, of the clothes. One set so sweet, to see how much she has grown and the other . . the other is bittersweet.

    Remembering your sweet Elena x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. I so appreciate your sweet words and your time.

      Delete
  3. Those boxes, those clothes - I am so sorry your beautiful little Elena didn't get to wear them.

    Your son's idea about the balloon is so amazing. It shows that he remembers and loves his sister, and that just warms my heart all the way through.

    Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I am so sorry to hear that you lost your little Elena, you know there is nothing adequate to say really I guess. My son is 3 years old too and I have all of his things in the attic, just waiting, and waiting and waiting, and its awful.
    Love
    Val
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie, and I am sorry we share this experience.

      Delete
  5. This post was full of grace and dignity and LOVE, so much love. also had older children and I felt as you did - that I wanted them to have a happy and stable childhood, despite the enormous tragedy that had befallen us. I didn't also feel very successful but I look at them now - nearly four years on and I am in awe of their wonderful spirits and their amazing compassion. Your little boy sounds the same - his lovely remark about the hot air balloon made me tear up and smile, all at the same time.

    And the "hand-me-downs with tags" just about broke my heart. It's not how it should be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and for the hope you give by sharing about your own children.

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog... and I'm so sorry that it's taken so long for me to get back to you. I've been on a little break and not on my computer. Your post is so beautiful... sorry to hear about your darling Elena. My heart goes out to you and here on this journey with you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am sorry we are on the journey together but glad that we are in good company.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry for the loss of your lovely little Elena. Your post was beautiful and I'm glad I stopped by.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I appreciate the ability to share Elena with others.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and commenting. I appreciate you taking the time to write. I read all comments, and they mean so much to me!